Facial oils are all the rage these days, sometimes even touted a better alternative to water-based moisturizers, and for a good reason. Oils can deeply penetrate the skin, providing a host of benefits for a brighter, smoother, and more youthful-looking complexion. There are hundreds of facial oils on the market- some blended for compounded benefits or singular oils like jojoba, marula, or argan oils. But do you know if you should use one, and which oils are best for your skin type? Find out below.
Benefits of Facial Oils
Facial oils provide a variety of benefits for the skin that are not found in other skincare products. Some of these benefits include:
- Moisturizing: Facial oils are excellent for softening and nourishing dry skin. They lock in moisture and create a protective barrier on the surface that helps prevent moisture loss throughout the day.
- Anti-Aging: Oils are rich in antioxidants and vitamins A, C, and E, which help fight against free radicals that damage cells and accelerate aging. Facial oils help keep your skin appearing young and healthy.
- Brightening and Evening Skin Tone: Oils can help even out skin tone and brighten dull complexions. They can reduce the appearance of age spots, sun damage, and discoloration, giving you a more radiant and glowing complexion.
- Anti-Inflammatory: Oils with anti-inflammatory properties can help soothe and reduce redness, irritation, and inflammation caused by skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, and acne.
Should You Use Facial Oils?
Facial oils aren't for everyone, so it's essential to know whether or not they're suitable for your skin type. If you have oily skin, you may want to avoid heavy facial oils as they can exacerbate oil production and cause breakouts. However, if you have dry, combination, or sensitive skin, facial oils could be a game-changer.
Which Facial Oils to Use for Your Skin Type?
Now that you've decided to try a facial oil, it's essential to choose the right one for your skin type. Different skin types need different formulations of oils, so here's a general breakdown:
- Dry Skin: often caused by over exfoliating, over washing, and sometimes dehydration. Which results in the disruption of the barrier function. Applying oils is most beneficial for this skin type, acting as an occlusive barrier that aids in the prevention of water loss, like Marula, Pomegranate oil. It's important to drink lots of water to provide hydration to the skin.
- Oily and Combination Skin: results from an imbalance of your skin's oil production. It's important to avoid harsh and drying products. Try lightweight oils that won't clog your pores like Squalane. Oils rich in Omega-6 like Pumpkin, Grapeseed, Sunflower, all of which can help regulate oil production.
- Sensitive and Acne-Prone Skin: if you have skin inflammation you could experience redness, itching, blemishes, irritation or sensitivity. Try oils with anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and wound healing properties. Like Jojoba, Oat (rich in ceramides for barrier repair and antioxidant Vitamin E), and Baobab.
Our Recommendation: Vitality - Renewing Botanical Face Oil
If you're looking for a high-quality facial oil that's perfect for all skin types, we're excited to recommend our Vitality - Renewing Botanical Face Oil. Made with a blend of nourishing botanical oils, Vitality is perfect for dry/maturing, blemish-prone, dull, and textured skin.
This luxurious, multitasking facial oil is formulated to nourish, smooth fine lines and wrinkles, brighten, balance, and renew all skin types. It's packed with antioxidants and nourishing ingredients like Pumpkin, Marula, Baobab, Pomegranate, Oat oils, Bakuchiol, Vitamin C + E, salicylic rich White Willow Bark to create a healthy glow while supporting your skin's natural defences.
Facial oils can be a game-changer for your skincare routine, providing a range of benefits that can't be found in other products. With the right oil for your skin type, and consistency you can unlock a brighter, smoother, and more youthful-looking complexion.